TORONTO — A new exhibit at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto features two of hockey’s greatest players: Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe. The 9 / 99 exhibit pays tribute to the players who made the nines on their jersey shine.
The Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe Exhibit Items
The Hall says the tribute explores, “how each legend transcended the game for their respective generations, while highlighting the similarities in their Hall of Fame careers.”
Items on display include items hand-picked from the Howe and Gretzky family collections. The 2,000 square foot exhibit pays homage to hockey’s most prolific scorers, “Mr. Hockey ” and “The Great One.”
Featured items in the Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe exhibit include:
- Howe’s gloves from his first Stanley Cup victory (1952)
- Gretzky’s first pair of skates (early 1960s)
- Howe’s 2000th point stick (1974–75)
- Gretzky’s 2000th point puck (1990–91)
- Gretzky’s 92nd goal stick and puck from his 212 point season (1981-82)
- Stick and puck from Howe’s 801st NHL goal (April 6, 1980)
- Gretzky’s record breaking 802nd goal stick and puck (March 23, 1994)
- Howe’s last All-Star Jersey (1980) in which he played with Gretzky
- Gretzky’s equipment from his last game (April 18, 1999)
- Howe’s and Gretzky’s Order of Canada.
Visiting the Hockey HOF
The Hockey Hall of Fame, located in downtown Toronto at the corner of Yonge & Front Streets in the Brookfield Place lower concourse. It is typically open seven days a week. It boasts of being open 362 days a year! A complete schedule may be found here.
The fee for most people is $20.00. Discounts are available for seniors, youth and children.
The exhibit will stay at the Hockey Hall of Fame through March 2020.
Gordie Howe fans may be interested in our guide to items on sale that feature the Original Six.
Please note that by purchasing items through the links on this list, we will earn a small commission on the sale. Those commissions help to fund our services and blog posts throughout the year. We thank you in advance for helping us to advance our mission and goals.