Sports Salsa’s Top 7 Weekend Spicy Sports Events
October 19-22, 2018
1. New England Patriots at Chicago Bears
Sunday, Oct. 21, 1 pm ET
This is the most expensive NFL ticket to get this weekend. Many are saying this is Tom Brady’s last game in Soldier Field, but we’re not sure he will retire before the NFC North and AFC East next play each other again. He’ll get another matchup against a young quarterback, Mitch Trubisky, after battling Kansas City’s Patrick Mahomes last week. The Patriots (4-2) are reclaiming their status as the team to beat to get to the Super Bowl and the Bears (3-2) need a win to stay on top of the division.
2. Los Angeles Dodgers at Milwaukee Brewers
Friday, Oct. 19, 8:39 ET and Saturday, Oct. 20, 8:09 ET (if needed)
TV: FOX Sports 1
The Boston Red Sox, with the best record in baseball this season, awaits the winner of this series. LA has a 3-2 advantage, but the Brewers get homefield advantage for the close of the series.
3. #16 North Carolina State at #3 Clemson
Saturday, Oct. 20, 3:30 pm ET
Clemson gets a test against a ranked team. It’s new territory for the Wolfpack and they’ll give their best shot, though we think Clemson will be up to the challenge.
4. Cincinnati Bengals at Kansas City Chiefs
Sunday, Oct. 21, 8 pm ET
Any time Patrick Mahomes puts the jersey on, it’s worthwhile TV. Suffering his first loss at New England last week, he seeks redemption against the Bengals, a team that many worry is reversing direction after a strong start to the season. There are only three losses between the teams and we suspect there will be more passing plays than running plays.
5. Carolina Panthers at Philadelphia Eagles
Sunday, Oct. 21, 1 pm ET
A pivot game for both teams. The Panthers (3-2) and the Eagles (3-3) both need victories to keep pace with division leaders. The Panthers lost to the Redskins last week. The Eagles, winners over the Giants last week, have not won two in a row all year.
6. New Orleans Saints at Baltimore Ravens
Sunday, Oct. 21, 4:05 pm ET
Offense against defense in this interleague matchup. Drew Brees and the Saints (4-1) have been using their air game effectively, but the stingy Ravens (4-2) defense has looked impressive. The Ravens have won the last three matchups between the two teams. Can they make it four?
7. #6 Michigan Wolverines at #24 Michigan State
Saturday, Oct. 20, Noon ET
No matter the rankings or records, this game always produces fireworks. Michigan needs a victory to make the future game against Ohio State mean something. And Michigan State is always happy to play spoiler.
Other storylines to watch this weekend.
- In other top four ranked college games this week, #1 Alabama goes to Tennessee and #2 Ohio State at Purdue. #4 Notre Dame is off.
- #5 LSU hosts #22 Mississippi State in an important SEC contest.
- Another good Pac 12 game this week as #12 Oregon travels to #25 Washington State. Also previously ranked Colorado goes to #15 Washington.
- The Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins butt heads this week. Both teams need a victory to keep pace in the NFC East.
- Two other games we will keep our eyes on this week are the Houston Texans going to play the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Minnesota Vikings going east to face the New York Jets.